Monday, January 16, 2012

The LORD's strength in my weakness..

Okay - I know I like to go a couple months between postings, so after this one I might not put anything up for a while but I really want to document down this morning...

My very first online class towards my MAR -Discipleship have begun today. I have been SO EXCITED leading up to today - ever since October when this whole process began. I am excited to learn more about what I believe what I believe, and I want to be better equipped for where God will lead me in the future. I truly believe he led me to begin seminary classes, but I am not sure where He is going to take me with that.

I looked mid-week, last week, when the syllabus and the like were posted for my class and thought, okay this is going to be great. I am taking Survey of Christian Doctrine as my first class and knew that it would be a challenge, but if I am being honest I was really thinking, "How hard could this really be?" I mean, I grew up in the church and have a lot of basic knowledge so that should make it a whole lot easier. Well today I have off of work for a holiday and decided to get started with my reading and really try and plan this semester out. I really want to do well in this class and not procrastinate, like is my tendency with school. Well I opened up my book this morning and realized that I have to read 135 pages of the textbook and post to a discussion board by the end of the week. Okay, that's fine I can do that. Then I actually started to read the book and realized it takes me ten minutes to read two pages because I have to read it that many times to just understand what the author is trying to say. Okay, starting to get a little overwhelmed, but it will be fine. Decided to look ahead to see what I will need to get accomplished each week, including a 10 page paper by the end of the eight weeks on theologies that I have never heard of before - which I don't understand at all (I know that's the point of a research paper, but super daunting). I am starting to realize this will NOT be as easy as I have been envisioning. Add the class on top of everything else I have going on in my life these next eight weeks - full-time job, Jr. High responsibilities, worship team, keeping up with relationships - and that is when I became super overwhelmed and out came the tears and second guessing. "What did I get myself into?" "I can't do this, I don't understand what I am reading at all." "How is all of this going to get done?"

I am not posting this right now to be felt sorry for in anyway! I still truly believe that the LORD led me to begin this process, beginning with this class. I am posting this to show what His strength is going to do in my weakness through these next eight weeks. I would not be able to do this on my own - EVER! But I am going to give all I have to this class and everything else going on, relying on the LORD for my strength and wisdom with everything. That is my prayer- I am not perfect and might stray from relying on Him and try and take back control (cause that is what I tend to do), but I don't think that will last very long because I will just get overwhelmed again and have no where to go but back into the arms of my Father! I don't know how many times I will post here during these next eight weeks, but I plan to post at the end of the class with how God got me through them!

I received an e-mail from my pastor this morning with a verse that I think will be my go to verse for the next 8 weeks:

"He will be the sure foundation for your times, a rich source of salvation and wisdom and knowledge; the fear of the LORD is the key to this treasure." Isaiah 33:6

I also found this verse encouraging too when I was reading through Isaiah 33:

"O Lord, be gracious to us; we long for you. Be our strength every morning, our salvation in time of distress." Isaiah 33:2

Watch out THEO 510 - God and I are going to kick your butt this semester! :)

2 comments:

  1. Hello Vicki.

    It is wonderful to see a fellow student enrolled at Liberty. I am commenting here as there was not an email address to send this. I was hoping you could help me out. I will be taking THEO 510 this later Spring in addition to CMIN610. However, the online syllabus provided is completely different than what's described in the Course Schedule. Is there any way you could email me at jtudor302000@gmail.com the pdfs or word docs for what the class entails? I like to do some prep work prior to the class beginning. Thank you very much!!

    JT

    ReplyDelete
  2. One more thing. If you know what classes you may be taking in the near future, I probably have all the specs on the requirements as I am nearly complete in my MDIV. I can send any that you need so you can also plan ahead for the class(es). Please let me know. :)

    JT

    ReplyDelete